Re: sarge netinst bug with cpqarray

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> "Unable to install GRUB in (hd0)
> Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed.
> This is a fatal error"
>
> and in the console 3:
>
> "Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
> /dev/ida/c0d0p2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive."
>
> that c0d0p2 looks weird.. there's no such device in /dev/ida/.

grub-install is running in the /target chroot, and you should indeed
have a /target/dev/ida/c0d0p2; that's the standard name for this device.

It sounds like grub-install is not adding the drive to the device.map,
or is not seeing it at all. This is probably a bug in grub. If you can
get the system to boot and reproduce the problem by running grub-install
there then it's certianly a bug in grub and not in the installer per se.

> Any ideas?
>
> I also tried booting with a grub floppy, and then manually booting using the
> installed kernel from the second partition of the disk.. kernel panics
> because it cannot mount root (because the cpqarray driver is not loaded..).

I'd suggest you file a bug on initrd-tools about this. It should
presumably include such drivers in the initrd.

--
see shy jo