Re: d-i network install downloads too much

Joey Hess wrote:
John wrote:

Worse, it's downloading modules for two kernels. Since it booted a 2.4 kernel, it can't possibly use 2.6 modules.

The installer should not do that. Send us your /var/log/syslog from
inside the installer, or /var/log/debian-installer/syslog from the
installed system.

Not possible. It ran out of RAM, never got installed.

More, my boot kernel (I must upgrade it!) is 2.4.20, so it can't use the 2.4.26-1-386 or 2.4.24-speakup modules either.

Why are you booting a 2.4.20 kernel with the installer? That doesn't
make sense and I'd not be suprised if this kernel mismatch is somehow
causing the problem.

I set it up some time ago, to boot pxe-boot. I don't know now where the kernel/initrd came from, and I've been trying the latest daily builds since then, just copying the required kernel/initrd into place where those were.

I'm pretty sure it was a standard kernel/initrd package, but it may well mismatch with the Sarge materials I was trying to install.