status

Today is a good day, both the sid_d-i and the sarge_d-i CDs are usable
(on i386) today. The sarge images have dozens of updated udebs, though
there are still many a newer versions in sid. The string freeze is also
going well.

We need to focus on two things right now. First, we need to make sure
that the sarge images work, and keep working. At least on i386, this
means testing many installation methods and code paths. I'm using the
following form to keep track of it all for my testing, this reflects the
testing I have done so far on today's images:

[22 may images]
i386
	basic netinst cd		pass
	basic businesscard cd		pass
	USB key
	floppy + cd			pass
	floppy + network		pass
	netboot
	using pcmcia network card
	lvm install
	software raid 			fail, #250427
	32 mb ram 			pass
	48 mb ram 			pass
	2.6 netinst cd			fail (hw-detect, fixed tomorrow)
	2.6 businesscard cd
	2.6 pcmcia network card
	2.6 lvm
	2.6 software raid
	2.6 usb key

I'd like to expand this checklist to include all arches, and use it to
check the final rc1 release. What install methods should be tested on
other arches? If you're doing testing of the sarge_d-i images and don't
have the time or reason for a full installation report, at least post
something like the above.

The second thing we need to work on is testing changes to udebs in
unstable, so they can be copied to testing if they work. In particular,
some of the things that seem important, but that I do not know if
they're fully usable and safe include:

new partman
	I've done limited testing of it with today's sid_d-i images,
	which are the first on which it's usable, and it's reported ok
	on m68k and mips. We need to make sure there are no problems on
	other arches.
base-installer 0.081
	Potentially breaks and/or fixes m68k and powerpc. Should not
	impact other arches, if I get successful reports on those, I
	will let it in.
busybox-cvs 20040507-3
	Already in testing for i386, other arches need success reports.
	If it fixes any problems on other arches, I am willing to copy
	it in on a per-arch basis.
countrychooser 0.018
	This is very close to going in, but I would like some evidence
	that it's safe.
languagechooser 1.22
	Ditto.
pcmcia-cs 3.2.5-4
	Fixes important bug, but needs success reports. I can't test
	this.
yaboot-installer
	Lots of changes, need success reports.

This is all tracked using the page