Re: Installation report -- Sarge, Compaq Presario 2199US

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
* Mike Oliver <mike_lists@verizon.net> [2004-05-13 14:55]:
Is this a known issue?  Any workaround?

Can you try the 2.6 kernel?  Simply boot with linux26

There's some sort of ACPI conflict.  "linux26 acpi=off"
works, to some extent.  Of course in the long run I'd
like ACPI to be available.

But I'm not sure how to set up booting.  Can I put
GRUB into the MBR and still boot my existing WinXP
volume?  Do I have to make another partition and
copy the Windows bootloader there or something?  If
I'm not going to do that, the method I know is the
one where you peel off the first 512 bytes of your
root partition and put it into a file in your Windows
partition, then edit boot.ini -- that's a LILO trick
as far as I know; don't know if it works with GRUB.
In either event, where do I install the bootloader
in that case?

BTW I tried skipping bootloader configuration and
booting with a rescue disk -- didn't work so well.
If I tried to use sarge as a rescue disk it gave
me a VFS kernel panic or some such.  If I tried
Woody disk 5, it sort of worked but couldn't see
the network.