Installation report -- Sarge, Compaq Presario 2199US

So I took some advice and stopped fooling around
with woody, and tried to install sarge on my
Compaq Presario 2199US.

From the NetInst CD:  Once it got to the
"select language" screen, the system no
longer responded to the keyboard.  I removed
the PS2 external keyboard and tried again;
same result.  "expert" boot, same result.
This had happened with the woody install as well,
but I was able to work around it with the "vanilla"
boot, which no longer seems to be there.

Tried again with the regular sarge disk 1 -- same
result.

Is this a known issue?  Any workaround?