Re: [l10n] Changes to languagechooser

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 07:26:49AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Choose each and every language/country combination you can, go through
> the keyboard selection screen, then switch to 2nd console, activate it
> and get the following variables:

First, I second the urge to clean up the keyboard-chooser mess. It's not
usable, maybe something like a second screen would be nice.

Second, I have been asked (in Russian), which country I am in, these
countries have been "Russian Federation" and "Ukraine" - in English. I
think I have reported this already, but better one more time, than no
time....

> Please report any inconsistency you may find....

So, these are the russian/Germany/de-latin1-nodeadkeys one....

> debconf-get debian-installer/language

ru_DE:ru:en_GB:en

Don't know if this is okay, looks definitely weird. BTW, it might be a
nice feature to be more intelligent: if I choose russian language, but
Germany as the country, it is still logical, that I speak or at least
understand German. Therefore, there should be another fallback before
English - German. One the other note, ru_DE will definitely fail if used
as a locale name

> debconf-get debian-installer/country

DE

Should be okay, I guess.

> debconf-get debian-installer/locale

ru

How is this value used? How will be the locale name combined? ru_DE.KOI8-R
will fail and thus I'll get en_GB on reboot?

> Otherwise, please comment. I know some of you won't like this because
> we had one keystroke to the install process, but I deeply hope the
> benefits (simplification) will weight more than the drawbacks.

It's really nice and clean. One (IMHO unsolvable) problem is that there is
much explanatory text in English on the first screen. I do not have an
idea how to change this ATM, one possibility could be to introduce a
kernel boot parameter to set this up and maybe some hook inside of the CD
itself, so that the redistributors could set this up as they want (german
distributors would definitely like to pre-select language to german
without taking the users the possibility to change this).

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org