Re: using sarge installer with non-included network driver?

Kevin Murphy wrote:
> 1) I've made several suggestions for improving the sarge beta installer
> menu system in my installation report to the bugs list.

All of which were fixed in subversion last night, but are not yet
uploaded for the daily builds, FWIW. Thanks for your feedback.

> 2) Is it possible to use the beta sarge installer with a network card
> driver that's not included?  I am trying install using a Linksys
> wireless WUSB11 v2.8 USB network adapter, which presumably uses the
> Atmel AT76C503A.

Yes, your plan to make a driver floppy is workable.

> On another machine I have compiled the Atmel driver for the version of
> the kernel used in the beta4 installer image, but I'm not sure what to
> do with it.  I'm guessing I could somehow make a custom net-drivers floppy?
>
> I'm willing to do (and have done) quite a lot of footwork, but I'm
> frustrated by the patchy web of documentation that doesn't quite knit
> together.
>
> I'm stubbornly going through this process to try to help improve the
> installer, btw.

You need to create a udeb with the module in it, and dump it on a floppy
disk. Assuming you have a lib/modules/.. tree with the module in it in
the right place and any other files you need also in there, the quickest
way to do so is:

mkdir my-tree/DEBIAN
cat > my-tree/DEBIAN/control <<EOF
Package: atmel-modules-2.4.25-1-386-di
Version: 0.1
Section: debian-installer
kernel-version: 2.4.25-1-386
EOF
dpkg --build my-tree atmel-modules-2.4.25-1-386-di.udeb
cp atmel-modules-2.4.25-1-386-di.udeb /floppy

--
see shy jo