Re: German translation of the Sarge Installation Manual

On Sunday 18 April 2004 21:25, Per Olofsson wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:06 +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > You'll probably want to change the encoding for the docs to ISO-8859-1 by
> > adding <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> in translated docs
> > (see the fr or nl translations for examples).
>
> What's wrong with UTF-8? That's what is being used in changelogs, and,
> as far as I can see, most po files in d-i.

Nothing, but I found ISO easier to maintain and it has all the characters I
need for Dutch (and I think the same goes for German). For one thing, my
editor does not automatically recognize an UTF encoded xml document as such,
so it saves me having to manually select the encoding every time.
The build system for the manual will convert a document in an ISO encoding to
UTF automatically, so technically it does not seem to matter.

Probably it is just my own inexperience with UTF that makes ISO easier
though ;-)
Hmm. I could probably just as easily explicitly set the encoding to UTF in the
docs to get my editor to regognize them.

FJP