Re: Automated xkb/kde/fonts configuration after install

On Thursday 15 April 2004 02:54, Denis Barbier wrote:
> As you chose el_GR.UTF-8 as the default locale, you have to find
> a way to provide a working UTF-8 console.  If jfbterm works for 2nd
> stage, it could also be used when installation is over, couldn't
> it?

I thought about it, but IIRC I read in this list that we might change
from console-* packages to a kbd-based solution, which is supposedly
more UTF-8 compliant.
On the other hand, jfbterm would be a nice idea but it would need some
significant changes on the init procedure. Are there any other
languages that use jfbterm as default terminal emulator?

> Anyway you may have a look at
>    packages/languagechooser/languagelist
>    packages/languagechooser/prebaseconfig
> there have been recent changes about console configuration.

Ah, I see! Which means I don't have to use fonty at all! That's cool

> > * setting up the X keyboard debconf value to 'us,el' and the
> > XkbOptions to 'grp:alt_shift_toggle' so that keymap switching is
> > possible instantly.
>
> This is not trivial, I guess that X configuration should be
> modified to load d-i values when they are available.  Is there a
> way to know that we are currently configuring a package from within
> the debian-installer?

Well, if I preseed the debconf values, then the xserver-xfree86
debconf installation should find these values right? So it's just a
case of user pressing enter to accept them.
If that's not possible, I'm thinking of changing the translated
debconf text to actually tell the users to enter these values by
hand.

Konstantinos