Re: Request for review of partman-newworld

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:37:49AM +0300, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> On 7.IV.2004 Colin Watson wrote:
> > This was my first exposure to partman's internals, so I'd appreciate it
> > if a partman expert (Anton?) could look it over for any glaring errors.
>
> It is not dangerous, but it won/t work properly.  Partman-palo (and
> partman-lvm) contained some hacks that are not necessary with the new
> version of partman.  However I haven't updated fully the code of
> partman-palo yet.I will look at partman-newworld after a few days.

Thanks; I appreciate it.

> I suppose that only one partition needs to be yaboot
> partition. However the Mac disk label supports more than one partition
> with bootable flag set.  How the bootable flag is supposed to be used?
> Probably every operating system has to have one partition with
> bootable flag set?

I don't think so. My Mac OS X partition, for instance, doesn't have the
boot flag set, yet it boots. In the absence of yaboot, I would imagine
it boots by means of the proper boot-device setting in OpenFirmware
NVRAM. I think it's adequate for only the yaboot partition to have the
boot flag. That said, I would definitely not want to remove the boot
flag on partitions that already have it set before partman starts.

parted looks at the state of the boot flag when deciding whether to
create an Apple_Bootstrap partition, and yabootconfig/yaboot-installer
look for such a partition when figuring out where to install the boot
loader. They then call mkofboot, which sets the boot-device variable in
NVRAM so that OpenFirmware knows where to look at the next boot.