Re: Location list proposal [was: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?]

Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):

> Please, we should be moving away from including countries at all on the
> language chooser screen.  I think the current mix of languages and
> languages+countries on the first screen is very distracting already, and
> wastes space in the menu.

Well, reducing the languagechooser screen was one of the ideas behind
countrychooser if you remember.

However, after several discussions, the current compromise was made with some
double choices :

-English (USA)
-English (Great-Britain)
-English (other countries)
.../...

This allows people with the "most often used" countries to choose
their country in one keystroke, while others still have the choice of
getting the locale they may want to have.

For details about how this works, readers of this thread can go back
in -boot archives for January of February 2004.....

There alredy, the Chinese language needed a special treatment because
of the way the two written forms are coded : zh-CN and zh_TW.....which
uses a country information for indicating the differences between the
two written form of the language.

So, I think that languagechooser will stay with this quite long list
and some "multi-country" languages like English, Spanish, French,
German having a special treatment, adding up to 4 entries to the list
(there shouldn't be more than 4 entries-->3 "major" countries and an
"other" entry).

This is not ideal, but this may allow us solving the TW issue at least
partially.

I wait for the input of taiwanese people about this proposal.