Re: Location list proposal [was: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?]

Quoting Dave Jones (djones@linux.net):
> Hong Kong uses zh_HK and so forth.

And, yes, HK users can choose Traditional Chinese at first d-i screen
and then Hong-Kong at the second screen they will be presented with.

Tetralet (please, some day, mention your real name if possible), one
idea comes to my mind, as a compromise when writing this answer:

What about adding a line in language chooser saying:

Choose this to proceed in Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)

That one would immediately set zh_TW....and the problematic screen
will never be shown.

We could even do better:

zh_CN: Choose this to proceed in Simplified Chinese (China)
zh   : Choose this to proceed in Simplified Chinese (other countries)
zh_TW: Choose this to proceed in Traditional Chinese (Taiwan)
zh_HK: Choose this to procees in Traditional Chinese (Hong-Kong)

(all these in Chinese, of course)

zh_HK would then give "zh_HK:zh_TW:zh:en_GB:en" as language list which
means that HK users would then get the zh_TW translations, that is
Traditional Chinese.

As you can see, the controversial "Taiwan" mention there is under
control of the Traditional Chinese translator....who can put whatever
he will think appropriate there....(anyways, "province of China" would
be technically impossible probably because of length constraints)

With this solution, we basically "hide" the problematic mention of
iso-3166 to nearly all users choosing the Chinese language.

We don't hide the problem under the rug. We just address it in a way
who satisfies the majority of users and, I hope so, both "parties"....

As a side effect, we save most Chinese users one screen by just adding
two lines to languagechooser.