Re: [USABILITY] Usability test of Debian Installer beta 3

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 08:57:46PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

> On Wednesday 07 April 2004 20:06, Fabian Fagerholm wrote:
> >
> > I'm concentrating on users who have never installed an operating system
> > before.
>
> If you're going to use complete newbies for testing, I think you should be
> fair and provide them with relevant information that is freely available.
>
> At least provide them with a version of the manual which _does_ explain about
> scrolling and the sequence of the installation, common problems and how to
> solve them.
[...]

No, help screens have to be improved, but unfortunately this will be
done very late.  Current d-i developers are working on other tasks,
so anyone interested in providing a better installer can help, the
only prerequisite is to have tested the debian-installer.

For instance a help line can be added at the bottom to explain
available keystrokes, and I will be glad to incorporate it if
there are suggestions.

Another useful help would be to test current daily images and
see if criticisms expressed in http://www.thiesen.org/d-i/ have
been dealt with, and file individual bugs if this has not already
been done.

Denis