[USABILITY] Usability test of Debian Installer beta 3

Hi,

Inspired by the simulated usability review at
http://www.thiesen.org/d-i/index.html by marcus@thiesen.org, I thought
I'd take the usability testing of d-i one step further by arranging a
real usability test. Yes, that's with a live crash test dummy. :)

I hoped to see a result similar to Marcus' simulation, but unfortunately
I didn't. While I've only tested with one person so far, I now believe
there is a rather big amount of usability flaws in d-i. Further testing
is certainly warranted, but I couldn't set aside the results I've got so
far.

I'm concentrating on users who have never installed an operating system
before. While this may at first seem like the wrong thing to do, I
actually think it's a very sensible approach. If a user who has never
installed any operating system can use d-i to successfully install
Debian, then anyone can. Adding more control and features for
experienced users should be easy, but if the installer is that simple
then my guess is that even the "gurus" will appreciate getting the
installation over with so they can concentrate on more important things
such as installing and configuring software packages.

The complete results of the usability test is at
http://people.paniq.net/~fabbe/tmp/d-i-test/ (yes, "tmp" means temporary
-- it'll be up for many weeks, even months, though).

Feedback is welcome, and I'm subscribed to debian-boot so please discuss
here. I'm trying to find time to arrange a few more tests within the
next month or so, so that I can see what other flaws emerge.

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe@paniq.net>