Re: Re: Must debian-installer use iso-codes package when choosing country?

Quoting Tetralet (tetralet@pchome.com.tw):
> > As long as this iso-3166 translation in zh_TW is incomplete,
> > you will be presented with the English name list...
> > which you don't like, when choosing zh_TW.
> >
> > So, go ahead and finish the zh_TW translation of iso_3166.
>
> I'm very willing to do it.

Well, as you may have read, this won't stop the problem as the short
list is still untanslated.

We need one good perl/shell/whatever wizard who finds a solution for
translating the built-on-the-fly short list

> > For sure,
> > people using English will still see the name you don't like.
> > Some, probably of Chinese (or probably Taiwanese) origin,
> > will probably even complain about this.
> > We will point them to
> > http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/10faq/frequently-asked-questions.html#QS03.
>
> That's the problem.
> Maybe we are too self-will,
> But some of us still think that it is not acceptable.

Well, I'm unfortunately pretty sure that whatever solution we find to
this, some people will still think this is not acceptable as long as
the solution does not implement their own solution.

For those people who think that this wil remain unacceptable and
insist on replacing the current name, I will politely ask them to also
propose a new names for FYROM, "Palestinian territory, occupied",
"Lybian Arab Jimahiriya".....of course, the solution has to be
accepted by all involved parties

The National Geographic Atlas has unfortunately less legitimity than
ISO in my eyes for defining international standards. NGA is a USA
organisation with, from my point of view, a quite oriented way of
approaching things (should I mention the censorship stories which
happened in their publications).