Re: Technically: What is the point to identity to country/province, anyway?

Quoting Andrew Lee (andrew@linux.org.tw):

> I have no idea why debian wnats us to choose a country during
> installation?

Sorry to say and write this, but where were you when this was
discussed *months* ago?

Steve Langasek pretty well explained why the country choice emerged :
because this gives a good guess about several other answers in the
installer.

So, I won't argue again about this because I know this saves a lot of
user interaction screens during Debian installation.

(and there is still log of work to do for using this choice as a
default for some other settings in several packages)

Initially, a sort of country choosing system was in
languagechooser...and, indeed, it is still there for the most common
countries when some languages have several countries where they are
officially spoken.

However, as we kept adding languages to d-i, it became evident that we
couldn't add more and more entries to the languagechooser screen
(imagine how many entry we would need for Spanish.....just look at
/usr/share/locale/SUPPORTED some day)

Why the hell would we then have some countries having the chance of
being mentioned and some others not?

Yes, this was a politically correct choice, also.

And, yes, this lead to the current taiwanese issue we're trying to
solve.

But, please, don't ask the d-i team to drop design choice who were
made in public discussions and opened group. This is definitely too
late.

And certainly not because we currently have an issue with one country.