Install on an NEC Versa M320 laptop

Hi,

This is a quasi-install report. I helped a friend from Uni install Debian on
his laptop (an NEC Versa M320) using the beta3 CD.

He did most of the install, I wanted to observe from a useability
perspective. He had pretty much no prior Linux knowledge.

The install itself went really well. An observation was that when the laptop
was warm booted from Windows XP, it hung completely when the e100 module was
installed, both during hardware detection and after installation. Must be
some hardware bug.

About the only useability thing was during base-config, when he was prompted
to enter the name of a user to create, he expected what he typed to
overwrite the "Debian User" default value, whereas one has to backspace over
it first. Not sure if this behaviour is something easily changed.

It was the first time I'd attempted the automatic partitioning with a disk
that had some free space, and it "just worked" and was really cool. How is
the ratio between the root partition and the /home partition determined? I
forget how much free space we made available for the install, but I did
notice that the root partition was something like 5G big, and the /home was
13G. For a laptop with a single user, I would have given a tad more space
for installing software. I'd be surprised if he gets anywhere near filling
13G with user data.

regards

Andrew