Re: Location list proposal [was: why must Debian call Taiwan a "Province of China"?]

The country's name is "ROC"(Republic of China).

Taiwan Province is an administrative subdivision of the Republic of China (ROC). Even though the province-level municipalities of Taipei City and Kaohsiung City are on the island of Taiwan, they are not administratively part of the Province. Taiwan Province also excludes Kinmen and Lienchiang Counties, which are adminstered as the ROC part of Fujian Province.

So Taiwan _is_ a province, both for "ROC" and "PRC". This is neutral.

--- Jiun-jie Huang <jjhuang@cm.nctu.edu.tw> wrote:
>People in China don't like to call Taiwan a country. >Especially, when they confront with this issue, they tend to be irrational.

>People in Taiwan don't like to be called "province of >China" because it's not the fact. Of course, we don't want >to irritate people in China. So we accept to be called >"Taiwan," a more neutral name.

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone