Re: splitting root floppy by languages

On Sun, Apr 04, 2004 at 08:17:13AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> You could go with the language familes.  These are mostly in ISO 639a,
> though that doesn't have bs (Bosnian), or nb and nn (Norwegian was still
> no).  They're also accurate as far as I know linguistically.  :-)

> ASIAN: ja, ko, zh_CN, zh_TW
> SEMITIC: ar, he
> SLAVIC: bg, bs, cs, pl, ru, sk, sl, uk

Slavic languages are split between Latin2 and Cyrillic for the character
sets, so this may not an optimal grouping.

> ROMANCE: ca, es, fr, gl, it, pt, pt_BR, ro

Romanian also uses Latin2, so is probably better grouped with the Latin
Slavic languages?

> GERMANIC: da, de, en, nl, nb, nn, sv
> FINNO-UGRIC: fi, hu

And IIRC Finnish and Hungarian are both Latin1, so it probably doesn't
make sense to split just the two of them off into their own group.

> other families: cy, el, id, lt, sq, tr

Hmm, we have Albanian translations?  Not sure what charset that uses;
the others, though, each require code points not shared by any of the
others, yes.

> Asian root (4 languages + lots and lots of non-Latin characters)
> Semitic root (2 languages + BIDI + 2 non-Latin scripts)

This suggests that we may want *two* slang udebs, one with bidi support
and one without?  Is this worth the space savings of not having
libfribidi on the floppies?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer