Re: base-installer_0.066_powerpc.changes ACCEPTED

Jeremie, any idea what is going on here ? Can you build a new image set
on your box, and have Holger test it ?

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 11:29:28AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Good Morning ;)
>
> by looking at the changelog I found that you fixed the kernel install problem
> and this morning I found some new images at
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/current/powerpc-small/floppy/

Could you try one of the older snapshots ? From :

 http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/2004.03.31/powerpc-small/floppy/

for example ?

> I tried to write the root.img on about 10 different floppies, twice, and
> bootet them without any succes. The disks read fine, the mac-tux logo turns
> black and the systems freezes. Is it possible that the root.img is broken or
> had I just very bad luck with floppies ?

Yeah, the boot.img should be mostly ok, since it is nothing more than
the kernel and the miboot stuff.

Maybe you could try loop mounting both root floppies, and compare them.

It would be nice to get some kind of log of what is happening ? No idea
how to achieve this though.

> Anyhow, I realized I could use the "old" root-floppy from Jeremie and an new
> boot-floppy. (I wrote the image on the same floppies I tried with the
> root-image, and the floppy works.) The root-floppy gets loaded but almost
> instantly hangs with:

The old boot floppy with the old root floppy was fine, right ?

> /build/build/cdebconf-0.58/src/debconf.c:115 (main): Error reading
> configuration information
> /build/build/cdebconf-0.58/src/debconf-loadtemplate.c:68 (main): Error reading
> configuration information

Mmm, strange, no idea what caused this.

> (I also tried three different boot-floppies, the same error. (As expected as
> they're read ok.)
>
> So I guess, the floppy images are broken :(

Oh, well, i guess so. Maybe the trick used for building them on a 2.6
kernel was not ok. Don't know.

BTW, can you fill a proper bug report about this problem, so it doesn't
get lost ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther