Re: stuffit WAS: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, ...

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:52:19AM +0800, Pabs wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 20:18, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 02:54:35AM -0500, Paul Wise wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I noticed the oldworld mac discussion on DWN, and thought that you
> > > all might be interested to know that one of the compression methods for
> > > stuffit has been reverse engineered and documented. You might find that
> > > the author has source code for creating these kind of files, but that is
> > > just a guess. I don't really get why a sit compressor is needed, but this
> > > could be the path to one.
> > >
> > > http://www.speakeasy.net/~russotto/arseniccomp.html
> > >
> > > I hope this makes it thru, since I'm not subscribed.
> >
> > Nice link, thanks. Still, unless we have a cross compiler capable of
> > generating mac os code, this may not be enough.
>
> Oh, I was under the impression that gcc would handle this, otherwise
> there would be no packages availale for oldworld mac. Is this not the
> case?

Well, there is a misunderstanding. What is missing here is not to have
gcc generate powerpc elf code for running in on debian gnu/linux on
oldworld pmac hardware, but a compiler able to output code in whatever
format was used in mac OS <10. Or a powerpc linux->macos cross
compilerif you prefer.

Friendly,

Sven Luther