Re: stuffit WAS: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, ...

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 17:16, Sven Luther wrote:

> > > Nice link, thanks. Still, unless we have a cross compiler capable of
> > > generating mac os code, this may not be enough.
> >
> > Oh, I was under the impression that gcc would handle this, otherwise
> > there would be no packages availale for oldworld mac. Is this not the
> > case?
>
> Well, there is a misunderstanding. What is missing here is not to have
> gcc generate powerpc elf code for running in on debian gnu/linux on
> oldworld pmac hardware, but a compiler able to output code in whatever
> format was used in mac OS <10. Or a powerpc linux->macos cross
> compilerif you prefer.

Hmm, well c -> powerpc assembly would presumably work the same as in the
powerpc elf compilation, yes? so only the linkage needs to be
implemented? perhaps the gcc people might know of alternative free
compilers for macos that might be adapted to cross compilation, or have
some code rotting somewhere...

Well, here are some links google was kind enuf to spit out. Ancient,
partially irrelevant, but they are some kind of possibilities:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/crossgcc/1999-q3/msg00430.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-bugs/2000-07/msg00722.html
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.3/gdb-292/src/mpw-README
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/1998-08/msg00260.html