Re: PCMCIA network configuration

Per Olofsson wrote:
> The real problem is the installed system. cardmgr doesn't bring up
> Cardbus network interfaces, and neither does
> /etc/init.d/networking. hotplug used to bring up these interfaces but
> does not do that anymore by default.

That seems serously brain-dead. Why should this not just work whenever
any cardbus card is inserted? How am I as a user supposed to know the
difference between a cardbus card and some other PCMCIA card? Is hotplug
really this bad?

> As is described in
> /usr/share/doc/hotplug/README.Debian, you need to add something like
> this to /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> mapping hotplug
> 	script grep
> 	map eth1
>
> So d-i would have to generate this for these cards, I guess. I'm not
> sure how you determine whether a specific network interface belongs to
> a Cardbus card or a 16-bit card, though.

Or it suggests "mapping hotplug\n\tscript echo" to bring them all up. So
we could add that to /etc/network/interfaces by default, which would be
an ugly way to work around this.

I went back and looked at the thread starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2003/debian-devel-200302/thrd4.html,
and it seems that this behavior was added to give more control to work
around various bad interactions involving hotplug, but that no
consideration was made of people who want things to Just Work. So if we
put in any kind of mappings for hotplug, we will default the system to
having the issues described in that thread (or some of them, #141399
seems to have been fixed by not starting hotplug until after
S39ifupdown)), and if we don't, users will be unable to complete the
install with their cardbus cards at all.

Surely there must be a better solution in hotplug.

--
see shy jo