Re: PCMCIA network configuration

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:42 -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> I don't think getting really accurate card names is all that important,
> very few people will have two pcmcia network cards. So calling it
> "PCMCIA network card N" is probably fine, or whatever it does now.

Yeah, that was merely a side thing. Right now it uses generic names,
i.e. "Ethernet or Fast Ethernet" and "Wireless ethernet (802.11x)",
but no mention of PCMCIA what I've seen.

> Whether their interface is turned on by pcmcia or by some other method
> (usb hotplug?), the key thing is that these card should not get auto
> entries.

Actually, this is only about PCMCIA/Cardbus cards. USB interfaces and
such should get auto entries, as they are not brought up by hotplug by
default anymore.

> A /etc/network/devhotplug or something could list them.

Perhaps devnoauto would be more accurate.

> Is modifying pcmcia-cs to deal with this going to be problimatic,

Ideally the network script should only do this if it is invoked from
withing debian-installer. Perhaps put a special network script in the
udeb, or add the code with some kind of check so that it is not
activated on a real Debian system. Shouldn't be too problematic
really.

> and is there another way to do it besides including cardctl?

cardctl is only needed to determine the names, sorry about mixing
things up :)

> Something in /proc? I know that so far we have managed to use
> pcmcia-cs without changing its init scripts.

I've looked, but I haven't found anything. I would have suggested that
first if I had.

--
Pelle