Re: PCMCIA network configuration

Per Olofsson wrote:
> (Please CC me on replies.)
>
> Currently, netcfg adds the "auto" option on all interface definitions
> it generates. However, during the boot process cardmgr is started
> after networking, so the interfaces are ifup'd before they are known
> by the kernel.

FWIW, this is bug #239284. I've been trying to figure out which package
to pass it on to from the debian-installer dumping-ground.

> Unfortunately, ifup does not check whether the
> interface it tries to bring up actually exists, so it gets added to
> /etc/network/ifstate anyway. When cardmgr later tries to ifup the
> interface, it fails.
>
> I have some ideas on how to solve this problem:
>
> 1. Change /etc/pcmcia/network{,.opts} to somehow tell netcfg that a
>    particular interface is a PCMCIA network card and then modify
>    netcfg so that it doesn't add the auto option on these interfaces.

This seems to be the straightforward way to do it.

> 2. Start pcmcia-cs earlier in the boot process, before
>    networking. hotplug does this so why not pcmcia-cs? It would have to
>    call cardmgr with -f though, so that the cards are configured
>    synchronously.

I would love to see this happen (I use this method on all my systems,
which include servers whose main network port is pcmcia, and which need
to have all interfaces up before configuring bridging). However,
pcmcia's maintainer has been reluctant to use -f at all. I don't know
what the issues were, and this could be a bad change to make near
release.

> 3. Make ifupdown smarter, so that it won't add an interface to
>    /etc/network/ifstate if it hasn't really been brought up (or
>    doesn't exist).

That would be, er, nice. For other reasons too. But in this case it
would generate ugly boot messages, even if the pcmcia card was not
plugged in.

> 4. Use hotplug to bring up hotpluggable network interfaces such as
>    PCMCIA, PCI (Cardbus) and USB network adapters. I think that's what
>    you're supposed to do, and why should only 16-bit PCMCIA cards be
>    truly hotpluggable by default?

This seems like a post-sarge approach.

--
see shy jo