Re: Release update

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:21:02PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> (copy to Alastair McKinstry as slang packages maintainer, Shlomi
> Loubaton as current worker on BIDI support for d-i and -boot as this
> concern comes from Debian Installer needs)

> >   * As of now, no new packages will be added to the base system. This
> >     means that packages in the base system *must not* change their
> >     package relationships.

> >   * Large changes to the base system must be cleared with the release
> >     team and the d-i team before being uploaded to unstable.

> The recent work on BIDI (bi-directional language support), aimed at
> getting right-to-left languages support in Debian Installer, is likely
> to induce changes to slang packages.

> One of these will probably make some slang1 packages depend on
> libfribidi0. I'm not sure of this because I'm not the one who tried to
> implement BIDI support in slang (Shlomi Loubaton is), but I highly
> suspect this.

> As a side effect this would make libfribidi0 a candidate for being in
> the base system. Thus, I prefer mention all this as soon as possible,
> of course...

As mentioned on IRC, I believe it would be inappropriate to add
libfribidi0 to the base system at this stage, since this would be a
significant change to a very important library (libslang).  Fortunately,
we can have d-i translated into Hebrew and Arabic *without* making any
changes to the base system, which is one reason why I feel this way.
For d-i, we only need a fribidi-enabled slang udeb, we don't need
fribidi support in the base system.

This does mean that post-reboot, BIDI support will not be available in
debconf, but I think this is a reasonable goal for the first release of
Debian which contains any BIDI installation support at all, and it's
also compatible with commonly recognized translation priorities (install
manual + d-i stage 1, then stage 2 packages, then the rest).

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer