Re: Debian installer for Apple XServe

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 01:24:12PM +0100, Pip Oomen wrote:
> Researching the 'missing driver' a bit further, it actually looks like
> the config option that is needed is:
>
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX_NEW=y
>
> This driver supports the Promise Ultra 100 TX2 [PDC20268], which seems
> to be the IDE device to which the harddisks are attached. So, what is
> the status on that one?

Not builtin, but i am going to modify that now.

BTW, the SATA drive you mentioned previously are only used with the G5
powermac, right ? None of the earlier models have Serial ATA support ?

> I downloaded kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc_2.4.25-4_all.deb and looked at
> config.powerpc. Am I right when thinking that *that* is the config file

config/powerpc. Right. You could also look at
kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac_2.4.25-4_powerpc.deb.

> used for building the installer kernel ? Still confused about the whole
> d-i build process ;)

d-i, that is different. There is a special powerpc kernel-wedge package,
which transforms the kernel-image and kernel-modules i produce into
separate kernel and various modules .udebs, which in turn are used to
build the debian-installer kernel and initrd, and later also downloaded
from the net or cd.

Friendly,

Sven Luther