Re: Debian installer for Apple XServe

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:25:36AM +0100, Pip Oomen wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
>
> >>I have a Apple XServe on which I would love to install Debian, but with
> >>the last attempt (nightly build from march 9th) it failed the
> >>recognition of the IDE drives (missing IDE modules), and thus I could
> >>not get to the partitioning of the system.
> >
> >Mmm, do you have any kind of linux running on the box, if so, can you
> >send us the lspci and lspci -n output ?
>
> Alas, no linux on it at all, still MacOSX server. But at least I get it
> to boot with the installer kernel and got to peek at /proc/pci. Turns
> out that there is no IDE controller (visible?) but that I am having
> problems with detection of the RAID controller and hence with the
> partitioner.

Do you have RAID on that machine's disk ? This may be one of the
problems.

> Controller as reported thru cat /proc/pci: 2x Promise Technology, Inc.
> PDC20271 (rev. 3)
>
> With the nightly from early march i get all to the partitioning section,

Huh ? What do you mean by partitioning section ?

> but there it fails because it can not find any drive to partition at

So, no disk.

> all. With nightly 20040322 it does boot the installer kernel (and I do
> get vc's on 2/3, etc) but the debian-installer process just sits there
> with a black screen and a block cursor in the lower left-hand corner. Is

At which moment is that ?

> this something that the yaboot-installer bug was about?

Nope, not remotedly, unless i misunderstood you.

Anyone with more pmac knowledge can jump in here ?

Also, the early march di used the 2.4.22 kernel still, while we are
using 2.4.25 now. I don't remember exactly when the change was. Can you
try booting the corresponding 2.4.25 and 2.4.22 kernels, and see what it
does say about your disk. Ideally we would like to have the of the
kernel log. Maybe you can send us the content of /var/log in the di
initrd, altough i don't really know how you can copy this info to
somewhere, if the disk controler is not working ? Maybe you have a USB
key or something ?

Alternatively, you can use a digicam and take photo of it, and post it
somewhere, so i can have a look.

Friendly,

Sven Luther