Re: [i18n] String Changes in iso-codes

Quoting Anton Zinoviev (anton@lml.bas.bg):
> On 22.III.2004 at 06:41 Christian Perrier wrote:
> >
> > Would you mind if I submit a patch?
>
> Then please submit patches also for the locale mk_MK, and for the
> control centres of KDE and GNOME.
>
> This is part of the locale mk_MK:
>
> language   "Macedonian"
> territory  "Macedonia"

Well, in the meantime, Alastair mentioned me the difference between
iso_3166.tab file which includes the *short* names of
countries/areas/territories and the iso_3166_1.tab foile which has the
official english names.

ISO-3166 short names should then be those in
http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html

This is less easy for ISO-3166-1 as I'm unable to find a free list of
these names (which are btw the most likely to change)

As an example, your country is "Bulgaria" in ISO-3166 and "Republic of
Bulgaria" in ISO-3166-1

> Just to make things clearer, the following if from zh_TW:
>
> language   "Chinese"
> territory  "Taiwan R.O.C."

This is wrong, TW is "Taiwan, province of China"

As is MK in ISO-3166 : MACEDONIA, THE FORMER YUGOSLAV REPUBLIC OF

If libc locales have wrong country names, they should be fixed. And,
yes, this is a huge work. This is why Alastair started this work on
iso-codes, after all : for us to have a strong an impartial reference
for languages/countries/currencies.

> Anton Zinoviev
>
> P.S.  Exactly 16 years ago some people in my country were forced to
>       change their names because they were not to the liking of somebody.

I'm not sure this is the same problem. We are talking about
internationnaly recognised names for countries.....they change often,
because politics change often.