Re: not releasing powerpc (Re: beta3 released)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:37:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:
> > No, i wont upload a new package until tomorrow, and that the current
> > package goes into testing.
>
> So I should expect a fixed package tomorrow then?

Not sure, fixing these kernel-package related issues took me 2 days the
last time.

> > Anyway, the current situation is installing
> > the -apus kernel because base-installer doesn't seem to be able to fall
> > back the 2.4.22 one, but silently takes the first powerpc kernel available.
>
> This is probably because debian-cd included only two powerpc kernel
> packages, that were effectively randomly chosen. IIRC this was the apus
> one and netpmac-smp or something. It has been changed to include all
> available powerpc packages instead, and I expect that will let
> base-installer make better decisions, but someone will have to test it.

Err, i am using the netinst way, so all my packages come from the
archive. And if 2.4.25-powerpc-chrp is not available, it should fall
back to 2.4.22-powerpc-chrp, not 2.4.20-apus.

> > Also, Colin said he would have a look at this this evening, so we will
> > know tomorrow about it. I think maybe it would be more interesting to
> > fix yaboot-installer instead so it doesn't rely on the symlink being
> > present, but fall back to using the real kernel in case the symlink is
> > missing, this would add more robustness to the whole process.
>
> Fine with me if you go that route, I just want to know when to expect a
> fix.

This would be a much easier fix, i guess.

Friendly,

Sven Luther