Re: [l10n] Debian Installer translation status

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:52:13AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
(stuff deleted)

> -identical strings in partman : something should be done for this as
>  this is really annoying for translators. The worst are *nearly*
>  identical strings....

Agreed. Specially annoying for those not using translation programs with
catalog support.

> -we were pressured by time so the string freeze was very short. Some
>  teams got lost with that (italian, spanish...). This is likely to
>  happen again for future release(s), so I encourage these teams to
>  more closely follow strings changes. This sometimes means reworking
>  the same strings....

I really believe that if there is a string freeze it should  be anounced
here, not on debian-boot.

> -we need ALL translators to follow debian-boot. I proposed a dedicated
>  mailing list but several translators weren't enthusiast about it.
>  So, PLEASE, at least use a [l10n] marker for l10n issues in debian-boot

No, PLEASE don't force translators to read yet another list. It wouldn't be
so difficult to CC: debian-l10n-* in the l10n messages or, even, CC:
debian-i18n? Since the d-i work is being done by many translation teams the
later might even be more reasonable.

In any case, I don't expect people that develop a program to force me to
subscribe to their development mailing list to notice when there is a
string freeze. As a translator, I expect forewarning either directly to my
own e-mail address or through a dedicated mailing list. If you help force
this model you are giving an excuse for others developments teams (dpkg?
apt? X?)  to force translators to keep track of yet another mailing list.

Either make a d-i-l10n mailing list in Alioth (it should be rather easy)
with the current translator coordinators or send the messages to d-l10n in
CC:

Regards

Javier