Re: Automated installer / kickstart instructions?

Geert Stappers wrote:
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 09:04:03AM -0500, Erik Dykema wrote:

Geert Stappers wrote:

<snip/>

1) Have the installer look in a pre-designated filesystem place for the pre-seed file (I.e. '/di/tools/preseeder/preseed.deb' below). This would be useful for automated CD-ROM installs, grab the ISO, stick in your preseed file, re-burn it, and go. 2) Pass the installer an http / ftp / nfs url at boot time (APPEND preseed=http://192.168.1.1/preseed.deb). This would be useful for cluster / multiple machine installations particularly in combination with syslinux / pxelinux.

If one or both of these could be implemented in D-I, that would be fantastic.

Both? That is the best answer to | | (should it be code or only data)

Only data is 1)
Code is 2), get more information from elsewhere.

Ah. I was intending to mean that there be only data in the preseed file, be it a udeb or a flat file or whatever. There will need to be code in d-i to get the data (from file or http) and process it.

Regarding code or only data, I think that there are two paths to take. Data only would be limited to doing the things that D-I already knows how to do. However, it seems like it would be fairly simple to do this preseeding thing. Putting code into the mix enables more functionality, however this would increase the complexity of the task involved in making it work, and would also dramatically overlap with a number of other projects, including FAI and cfengine.
	If:
		d-i can install the cfengine clients, and
		d-i can configure them to connect to the proper cfengine 			'server'

Then it's not necessary to include the code stuff in the preseeder udebs, because that functionality (scripting & etc.) is totally handled by cfengine.

My proposal is to let d-i bring the computer at a level that can run cfengine.

Now I think about it, preseeder can just be data. Or not even a udeb
just the file with answers.

Auto install with debian-installer will be creating the proper boot image.

Yes, this is my proposal as well, and I concur that having just the file with the answers would be the simplest=best way to do it. This is at any rate how red hat's kickstart works.

Erik