Re: Automated installer / kickstart instructions?

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 09:38:43PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Erik Dykema wrote:
> > Hi-
> > 	Thanks for the links to the other automatic installation packages.
> > Looking at what they do, they confirm that what I think I want to do is
> > use the actual debian-installer, as suggested where you wrote:
> >
> > 1) Manual install.
> > 2) Save the answers from the debconf database into a file.
> > 3) Put the file in a preseeding udeb.
> >
> > 	Can anyone expand on points two and three?
>
> The debconf database is in /var/log/debian-installer/cdebconf on the
> installed system.

Updated in the doc/manual/en/install-methods/automatic-install.xml

> > or what/where the debconf database is, or once I have them what format to
> > put them into in the 'file', and once I have that file how to make it
> > into a 'preseeding udeb'.  I taught myself the bare minimums of making
> > regular deb's last week, is it a similar process?
>
> I guess you could put the files into a deb, moved to /var/lib/cdebconf,
> and then you'd have to work out how to make d-i load this deb. It might
> be better though to have the preseeding deb get the files from the
> network, then you'd not need to change the installation media, assuming
> the preseeder was on the default media.

Okay.

It is fine that I create a tools/preseeder directory?

Next step will be discussing the functionality of that udeb.
(should it be code or only data)

> --
> see shy jo

Geert Stappers

P.S.

Erik, please respect the culture of answering below the text.