Automated installer / kickstart instructions?

Hi-
A while back there was a lot of talk about automating installations, and in many places it was claimed that it actually worked. Does anyone have instructions for how to actually do it? For example, if I wanted to automate a network install, and I had done the homework, including:

	Install first by hand making sure things work.
Making notes of all my choices and the answers to the questions that it asks me (alternately keystrokes?)

	How would I then translate this into an automated installation?

I know of FAI and have been trying to use it, but it is extremely complicated and provides a lot of functionality that most users (even most administrators!) don't need.. I just want to use the regular debian-installer without having to sit here and press enter and type in my mirror location every time :)

thanks,
Erik