Re: [d-i manual] repetitious para

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:39:13PM -0600, John Buttery wrote:
>   IMO the biggest feature that distinguishes distributions is the
> package management.  I mean, it's the same kernel, the same core
> software bundled with it for the most part, stored in the same places
> (mostly, depending on how FHS-compliant a distro is)...what's really the
> difference between distributions if not the package manager?  The only
> other real difference is the installer, which you only use once anyway.
>   I think that's something that _should_ be played up...the fact that
> users of all these other distributions are installing part of Debian's
> package management system.  We should also emphasize that it's only a
> small part of it...'apt-get' != 'APT'.  When you install apt4rpm, you
> may get apt-get but you don't get the rest of the army of apt-* tools,
> the existence of which is made possible only by Debian's stringent
> package format QA process (try having a tool like apt-listchanges with a
> bunch of packages that don't have a changelog format spec...).

Ok, ok. You are absolutely right.
I guess I've been using Debian for too long, so I forgot problems that
plague other package managers. My contact with other distributions is
intermediated only through reviews on LWN.net :-).

But back to the real work. Minor rephrasing can wait. The most
important tasks for now are:
 * write en/module/*.xml
 * update references to the kernel flavors and install files
 * rest of doc/manual/TODO
Volunteers?

--
Miroslav Kure