release status

In light of Colin's post[1] to debian-devel-announce, we need to make
plans for the 15th March deadline that he has set. That is 3 weeks from
today.

In three weeks, we can certianly get another beta (or perhaps release
candidate) out, and we certianly need to given the state of the old one.

I know that we can support all three arches that were supported by beta2.
What other arches can we expect to have ready? What arches have
not a prayer of making it? And what about the missing powerpc subarches?
My guess is that it's possible to get i386, powerpc (maybe one or two
new subarches), ia64, mips (some subarches), alpha, m68k (amiga), and
maybe sparc ready by that time, but it will be a close call on many of
these.

A few things that porters need to do soon, if you have a port that
mostly works. Consider these mandatory for release:

 - Get daily builds working.
 	Currently working: alpha, i386, ia64, m68k, sparc
	Hppa's daily build has been down since the 17th.
	Mips needs a daily build.
	Powerpc's daily build is failing.
 - Get ISOs working and building daily, if applicable.
 - Get at least one successful, or nearly successful installation
   report.
 - Make sure the debian-installer package builds for your arch in a
   clean chroot, and let me know so I can add your architecture to the
   control file. Currently only i386, powerpc, mips, and ia64 are listed.

Here is an updated TODO short list, I have removed items that are done (grub,
graphical boot screens, wireless configurator, base-config simplfying, better
image names, countrychooser), and have also removed some of the more blue-sky
ideas that have not been started at all yet.

 - fix all beta2 errata (a must)
	- reiserfsprogs not installed
		NOT FIXED
	- USB Keyboard issues
		UNKNWON (anyone have a usb keyboard?)
 - security fixed kernel (with SATA support)
	Done for some arches. SATA status unknown.
 - discover 2
	udebs exist, but there are space and testing issues.
 - partman (fixes many issues with current system)
        initial version available, not default yet
        needs some UI polishing
	Unknown if we will have time to get it tested enough.
 - XFS support in official release
        waiting for 2.4.25 kernel debs and udebs
 - 2.6 kernel
        in progress?
 - better pcmcia support
 - a manual (partly done)
        provisional html build system now available
 - BIDI support (for Arabic)
 - subarchitecture support for powerpc and m68k
        in progress

We need to decide quite soon whether to go with partman or not. It's almost
too late already to make that change. Similarly with discover 2. We need
to reach a decision on both this week.

The translations are keeping up admirably, despite my constant attempts to
knock them all below 90%. ;-) We have 20 above that line. There is not a lot of
time in 3 weeks for a protracted string freeze, so I would like to know whter
one seems necessary at all, and whether a very short one, such as a 2 day
string freeze, would be enough to at least get the top 20 languages to 100%.
Also, why is Spanish only at 78%? Surely there are translators for such a
common language out there somewhere? I'm not ruling out any language currently
over 50% from being at 100% in time, I've seen what translation teams can do.

Well there are probably more questions than firm answers in the above,
so please fill in the gaps. I'm confident that we can make it in time.

--
see shy jo

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/debian-devel-announce-200402/msg00009.html