Re: release status

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 08:39:23PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> In light of Colin's post[1] to debian-devel-announce, we need to make
> plans for the 15th March deadline that he has set. That is 3 weeks from
> today.
>
> In three weeks, we can certianly get another beta (or perhaps release
> candidate) out, and we certianly need to given the state of the old one.
>
> I know that we can support all three arches that were supported by beta2.
> What other arches can we expect to have ready? What arches have
> not a prayer of making it? And what about the missing powerpc subarches?
> My guess is that it's possible to get i386, powerpc (maybe one or two
> new subarches), ia64, mips (some subarches), alpha, m68k (amiga), and
> maybe sparc ready by that time, but it will be a close call on many of
> these.

Well, chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep should be fixed tomorrow, and i will then
enable auto building of the kernels with builtin initrd in CVS.

This should work for chrp and chrp-rs6k with the netboot image, but will
maybe work on prep with both the netboot and cdrom image.

The problem here being that the cdrom initrd is too big for being
builtin into chrp and chrp-rs6k kernels, but i was not able to fix this.

As for oldworld pmac, the powerpc-small kernels are ok for that, but
nobody was able to work on the floppy images, i think. Jeremie Koenig
did have some look at it, but i don't know if he was able to concretize
it.

I will also, either today or tomorrow, upload both a 2.4.25 and a 2.6.3
kernel, probably enabling two new configs (or 4 if i do smp versions),
for power3 and power4 (both 32bit versions though). The power4 should be
ok for G5 pmacs also. The power3 i don't know, it is possible that the
kernel is somewhat broken on those.

All this will need a NEW processing though, and i don't know if this
will be possible for the 15th of march, altough it may with a bit of
nudging.

Friendly,

Sven Luther