Re: release status --> l10n status

Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):

> The translations are keeping up admirably, despite my constant attempts to
> knock them all below 90%. ;-) We have 20 above that line. There is not a lot of
> time in 3 weeks for a protracted string freeze, so I would like to know whter
> one seems necessary at all, and whether a very short one, such as a 2 day
> string freeze, would be enough to at least get the top 20 languages to 100%.

As of yesterday evening, the situation is very good.

We can make 6 different categories for languages :

As the following shows, a very short summary is

-beta3 will be 100% complete for 23 languages
-beta3 may be 10% complete for 8 additional languages

The number of fully supoprted languages will then be 23-31.

Spanish is, as Joey suspected, the most worrying case.

1) 16 Languages with constantly active translators

Those are updated very quickly as soon as one change occurs. Will
certainly be at 100% when needed, even without official string freeze:

Simplified Chinese
Ukrainian
Brazilian Portuguese
Lithuanian
Japanese
Hungarian
French
Greek
Catalan
Albanian
Slovakian
Czech
Dutch
Polish
Russian
Danish

2) 8 Languages updated less often but with known responsive translators

Those are updated less often, but will certainly be at 100% when
needed. The updates are less frequent because of translation teams
method of work or because the translator is alone.

Some of these could be put in the 1st category : the border is very
thin

German
Portuguese
Finnish
Bosnian
Italian
Norwegian Nynorsk
Norwegian Bokmal

3) 5 Languages with strong effort in the past but less updates recently

Several of these were at 100% for beta2 but didn't get much updates
recently. They most often rely on a single translator.

Some action for "awaking" translators may be needed (no offense
intended here....).

Spanish
Bulgarian
Arabic
Slovenian
Swedish (needs help)

4) 3 Languages with recent effort

Those started very recently (way after beta2) and the work is still in
progress for hitting 100%. Busy translators which may only need to be
helped for finding out what remains to be translated.

Korean
Turkish
Traditional Chinese (only 15% currently)

5) * Languages with currently anecdotic work

Those are less likely to be finished. For some of these, I got
contacts but no worked has started yet.

Galician (old translations)
Irish (asked Alastair)
no (will be switch to nb/nn, followed by pere)
English (only needed for one package)
Farsi/Persian (got contacts with a possible translator. This is the language
               which is spoken in Iran)
Northern Saami (work from Skolelinux?)
Latvian (mailed translator : no answer yet)
Hebrew (got some contacts but no news for a while)

6) Important languages missing

Translators seeked....list is non exhaustive

Icelandic
Afrikaans (or some other ZA official languages. Zulu first?)
Swahili
Croatian
Serbian
Macedonian
Romanian
Estonian
Vietnamese
Javanese
Hindi (or several other Indian languages)
Bengali
Esperanto
Tamil
Thai