Re: switch to partman?

On 13.II.2004 at 17:57 Christian Perrier wrote:

> I think that, at least, we should focus on improving
> partman. Currently, it is quite complex to use and one rapidly gets
> lost in the menu cascade.

Probably the following things will help:

1. Introductory help information
2. Better default items in the menus.
3. Some menu-items disappear depending on the debconf-priority
4. Some menus don't show to the user but automaticaly select the default
   menu-item.
5. Something different?

1 is easy to fix.  I will work also for 2 and 4 as they are necessary
for non-interactive installs.  I don't know about 3.

On 13.II.2004 at 11:43 Joey Hess wrote:

> My (limited) experience with partman is that it's rather slow (even on a
> 2 ghz p4!),

Then you probably have too many partitions on your disk. :-) The
slowest thing in partman is when it tests the partitions for existing
file systems.  A progress bar is in my wishlist but difficult to
implement because any script should be able to dismiss the progress
bar at any time and show a debconf question or message.

Anton Zinoviev