Re: goals for next release

>> The vendor already supplies full diffs for driver 6.21 at
>> http://www.syskonnect.de/syskonnect/support/driver/htm/sk98lin.htm for
>> 2.4.23 kernel.
>
> Cool, now you must convince Herbert to apply these to the official
> debian kernels, and everyone should be happy.
>
> I guess the best way would be to open a bug report against
> kernel-source-2.4.24 or something such, with tag d-i and patch, explain
> your problem, and either provide the link to the patch or the patch
> directly as attachement, and CC the bugreport to debian-boot.

I'd guess that by the time I get Herbert to agree((if indeed he would) and
then for debian-installer to use this patched kernel-source-2.4.24 that
2.4.25 would probably be released with proper support already built in.

I've CCed Herbert in this reply for his comments.

>> I'm more than willing to act as a guinea pig for testing
>> debian-installer
>> on my NForce2 board.
>
> Yeah, but actually it has nothing to do with debian-installer, just a
> plain 'debian official kernel doesn't support my hardware' kind of bug.

Well I'd expect the kernel used for debian-installer to be the bleeding
edge kernel with support for all the latest network hardware so that
someone can at least get debian installed (and network refreshed) in the
first place. Whether the mainstream debian kernel supports that hardware
isn't necessarily an issue as, with network access, the newly installed
system can download any required patches etc if a new kernel does need to
be built.