Re: MD/Software RAID support

On Wednesday 28 January 2004 14:24, Finn-Arne Johansen wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 01:40:33AM +0100, Paul Fleischer wrote:
> > Hi again,
> > I have put both the mdcfg and my modified mdadm package (modified to
> > create the udeb) up on http://proguy.dk/d-i/ for those who want to try
> > them out. Only the source packages are currently available, but I can
> > supply i386 if needed.
> > Currently, the process will fail when trying to configure a kernel for
> > the system. The solution is to install mdadm on the target partition, and
> > retry the operation. I will look into this shortly.
>
> Without having tested your package, Doesn the installation of the
> kernel fails due to the fact that grub-installer/update-grub doesn't
> handle Raid partitions ?

I haven't tried it with Grub yet, but I would expect it to fail in the general
case. As far as I know (and do please correct me if I'm wrong) Grub installs
a minimum on the actual MBR, while LILO will be placing the whole initrd
image there.
That said it might work on RAID1 partitions, since the component devices still
can be accessed by Grub as normal ext2/ext3/xfs/whatever partitions.

The actual problem regarding the kernel installation, is that the
mkinitrd-script finds MD devices present. Therefore it would like to include
some kind of tool to enable those (mdadm is my choice, it could as well be
raidtools2). And this is all done in one of the configuration scripts of the
kernel packages.

The simple solution is of course to install mdadm as part of the base
installation, but people not needing it might get annoyed by that.
However, I'm going to look into the "install-by-need"-process as soon as I get
some time again.

Regards,
--
Paul Fleischer // ProGuy