Re: goals for next release

Steinar H. Gunderson a écrit :
On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 10:39:39PM +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:

FAIR
Full Automatic Installation Revisited.

More or less. :-) I don't know FAI in detail, but as far as I can tell, it
contains a lot of infrastructure (ie. a full installation program, lots of
server stuff etc.) that simply shouldn't be neccessary anymore with d-i.
OTOH, people seem to be using it, and it is actively maintained.

Not having used either FAI or Kickstart (some kind of compatibility, or at
least feature-equality to the latter would be _very_ good, as I do believe
many users wanting automated installs will come from a RH world), I don't
really know what they can do and how. For my part, I'd probably like
something that could install the system automatically, add a few packages and
add a few users, and that would be OK -- but would this be enough for all
users? (If those are the goals, it would probably be limited enough to make
it feasible to do something like "apt-get install fair ; fair-makefloppy
/dev/fd0" just after installation and have it sort out everything needed.)

/* Steinar */

another simple way is to add an ldap driver in cdebconf.

i use ldap with debconf, and it works fine

sylvain