Re: Plurar and Singular

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 06:02:52PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> > What do you mean exactly? ngettext-style translation would be the
> > described method of including several translation, using msgid_plural etc.
> > I just found out, that I could have used these, if the templates had such
> > a possibility, but unfortunately, this is not done. Instead, something
> > weird appeared there "and can install any of ${PACKAGE_COUNT}
> > ${PACKAGES}.". How do I handle this beast now?
> I did that to hack around debconf's translation support not having
> ngettext support. The ${PACKAGES} is replaced with the msgstr for
> "package" and "packages", (from po/base-config.pot, not in the debconf
> templates pot file). That one string is filled in using ngettext. It's
> probably not ideal, but it should work.

Umhh... Well, I appreciate youtrying, but please remove this hack - it is
easier to rephrase in this case. Like already said, russian language has
_three_ singular/plural forms for different numbers, so your hack will not
please us either, as it only provides two forms, as far as I can tell...

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org