Re: Partman added to d-i repository

Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 07:33:15PM +0200, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > On  9.I.2004 at  9:12 Steve Langasek wrote:
> > >
> > > Since it's a new package it can't break the existing d-i freeze, so
> > > uploading partman to unstable should be ok.
>
> > Todays unstable will be tomorows testing for non-i386.
>
> Which still doesn't matter, because partman isn't *used* by the official
> d-i images yet.

There are a variety of ways that partman udebs in unstable could change
things in d-i:

  - They could fail to be installed proprly by anna, and break the
    install of the rest of the udebs somehow.
  - They could have menu-items numbers that made them be used before
    partconf, again throwing off d-i testing.
  - They could make more memory be used by the installer, so attempts to
    see, for example, how much memory is needed on some arch and
    document it for beta 2 would be thrown off.
  - Probably several other things I have not thought of.

If you need to upload them somewhere, figure out a way to use
experimental or an exterior apt repository. The risk of destabalising
the other arches progress toward beta2 is not worth an upload to
unstable.

--
see shy jo