Re: two successful install reports (except for hostname problem)

* Joey Hess

| Debian-installer-version: Jan 1st netinst from ~manty + Jan 30th hd-media

Oh, do you have any other hd-media from the future as well?

|   I think the best fix for this would be to make netcfg ask at priority
|   high for a hostname. The other option is to make base-config ask at high
|   if the hostname is "debian", but to get this into beta 2 would delay the
|   beta by at least 3 days (testing propigation). Also, by the time we get
|   to base-config, the hostname has been encoded in more files than
|   base-config knows about (including: motd, pap-secrets, hosts).
|
|   I also think we should ask for a hostname if dhcp does not provide one,
|   instead of again defaulting to "debian".
|
|   If we don't fix this, it will need to go into the errata.

I think we should defer all questions as long as we can, so if we
don't need the hostname in d-i, base-config should ask about it and
set it.  However, the reason why it was asked about in d-i is that
else you get some weird errors during base install.  So, unless we fix
base so that it doesn't funk up when installing with hostname unset,
we should bump the priority of the netcfg hostname question.  Having
b-c ask if it equals to debian is an ugly hack, and we shouldn't do
that.  If so, we should rather have something which people will not
choose automatically, like debian-default-hostname, which b-c can then
ask about.

motd isn't a problem -- it is rewritten on each boot.
does pap-secrets include hostname?
hosts includes it.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-