Re: discover and ISA detection

[Dale Amon]
> I only wish I could spend the time on it. It's not for myself in any
> case as I don't use installers anymore. Just debootstrap, NFSroot
> and rsync. Takes too long to install on a 16M RAM 486dx otherwise
> ;-)

Discover is not only useful for the installer, it is also useful on
installed systems, to load the required modules at boot time. :)

> What worries me is the inherent bias towards the mass market and
> competing with MS. While that is well and good and worth applauding,
> Debian has long been a main stay for those less well endowed with
> the latest and greatest devices. Schools all over the world for
> one. Places where income is such that updating a working donated box
> that is a decade old is just not possible.

The reason I like PCI over ISA, is not because of mass marked nor MS
competition, it is for techincal reasons.  ISA have no reliable way to
query cards about their identity, and a flaky way to extract
operational parameters, while PCI make it possible to reliably detect
and configure the HW in the machine.

> Perhaps after Beta-1 some of those people most affected by it will
> raise the cry and maybe somone among them will have the time to do
> it.

I hope so to. :)