Re: cdebconf upload

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:54:47PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Martin Sjögren]
> > I want to make a cdebconf upload to fix the problem of bogl being
> > included in cdebconf-udeb.
>
> Yes, please do.  The new cdebconf packages breaks my d-i build because
> the floppies are full.

The floppies-are-full problem was a major PITA in boot-floppies,
and is starting to come up quite often already for d-i.

Would it be worthwhile to standardize on 1 kernel floppy, 1 root
floppy, with strictly minimal stuff on the root system just to be
able to access floppies/CDs and start the installer, and then put off
any remaining floppy involvement until after boot is complete - to
load any other needed modules for specific cases as needed.

Even on architectures where the kernel and root fits on 1 floppy, I
think it would be worthwhile code-wise to standardize on 2. How many
people are actually going to burn floppies? And 2 is not much harder
than 1. That way, our code can be modular, our instructions can be
consistent, etc. Additional floppies or a CD would also be required
for additional language support beyond choosing the language.

Another point is that most people will choose the graphical installer
when it's available, which will need to load stuff from a CD even
if a floppy is used to boot. We should spend as little time as
possible worrying about floppies.

-- Lawrence Bernstein, Discover, Feb 2003