Re: cdebconf upload

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 12:54:47PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >
> > [Martin Sjögren]
> > > I want to make a cdebconf upload to fix the problem of bogl being
> > > included in cdebconf-udeb.
> >
> > Yes, please do.  The new cdebconf packages breaks my d-i build because
> > the floppies are full.
>
> The floppies-are-full problem was a major PITA in boot-floppies,
> and is starting to come up quite often already for d-i.
>
> Would it be worthwhile to standardize on 1 kernel floppy, 1 root
> floppy, with strictly minimal stuff on the root system just to be
> able to access floppies/CDs and start the installer, and then put off
> any remaining floppy involvement until after boot is complete - to
> load any other needed modules for specific cases as needed.

Until recently, RHL has installed off one floppy, for most users. Up to
and including RH 7.3, I could boot a floppy (a standard floppy with any
luck), and that floppy would load the kernel & initrd, identify the NIC
& load the driver, find the network and install.

At the syslinux prompt, one would enter "linux ks=<url>"

If at all possible, Debian likewise whould install from a single floppy.
A single-floppy install can be automated much better than one that
requires two.

If the installer absolutely cannot be run from a 1.4 Mbyte floppy, then
consider a one-floppy boot that will install from a network. (I am
assuming a 2.8 Mbyte floppy is fine).

The one-floppy boot that can install from a network might use etherboot,
grub or similar to get the kernel/init from a LAN. Not especially
useful (maybe) for the average punter, but wonderful for mass installs.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield