Re: *-di kernels break multi-kernel bootimage support.

Karsten Merker wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 08:34:22PM +0100, Thiemo Seufer wrote:
> > Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:

> > > If I understand you right you want to have more than one kernel on the
> > > same boot media, correct?
> >
> > No, I want to build two netboot images with different kernels
> > (in the same dpkg-buildpackage run).
>
> Building the netboot images in one step is one point,

It is necessary for autobuilding.

> another one is
> that it would be nice to have multiple boot kernels on the first CD
> for mipsel. We need vmlinux-r3k-kn02 for the R3000-based systems and
> vmlinux-r4k-kn04 for the R4000-based systems and it would be nice to
> require only one boot CD for both.

Shouldn't be a problem. The bootloader has ISO9660 support, so we can
just dump the kernel images in the CD's /boot together with the 2nd
stage loader, add the images to /etc/delo.conf and we are done.
Ok, we also need the minimal root, either as a normal ramdisk file or
as life filesystem (I'd prefer the latter, it eats less RAM).

IOW, the mipsel cdrom target should just create a miniroot .tar.gz
including the kernels, kernel modules and retrievers. Then we can
create the netinstall iso directly from it, as well as larger versions
with more packages. The CD cretion feature from the mrvn tree may
allow to do this in one step (if it reaches the trunk in time).

Thiemo