install report vmware/CD

Method: CD install in vmware, from Manty's CD images, circa 16 Dec.
Root Device: 300 mb IDE virtual disk

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [O]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [O]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

CD images are still not using the new syslinux boot and help screens.

The debconf priority selection thing is *ugly*. (See thread.)

The correct keyboard was the default in the keyboard chooser.

The new netcfg is not on this image yet, dhcp failed (vmware problem?),
manual config succeeded.

choose-mirror has proper English country names now, not ugly country codes.
On the other hand, it's still fairly useless, since this was a netinst CD,
and I didn't need to use a mirror, and base-config still repeats the
questions.

The distribution selection used virtual release names, not code names, and
worked ok.

On boot I notice a "warning: can't open /etc/mtab: no such file or
directory". Perhaps d-i should touch /etc/mtab to avoid this.

I wonder if it's really a good idea to use "auto" as the type for / in
/etc/fstab. This leads to scarey messages from the kernel as various
filesystems before reiserfs fail.

base-config is not yet 2.00 on the CD image so still has many problems.

--
see shy jo